Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Musings of Dr Liz - Are vet's friend or foe?

Welcome to another of my "musings".


Be warned - opinions ahead!

Are vets your pet's best friend, there to help  you through the tough times, when there is sickness, and to rejoice in the good times in the wellness checks.....

Or are they foe - conniving, manipulating beings whose sole purpose is to scam as much money out of you without giving you and your pet any benefit whatsoever.

What has brought this on?   Well, 25 years of observing veterinary practice (not just my own), and listening (as I always do ) to the general public - whether I am at the gym, in the supermarket, in the school canteen, or in the cafe enjoying a coffee with my hubby.  Even when I come across things via facebook or twitter. 

Alot of what I hear makes us vets seem like we should all be locked up with the key thrown away, as people complain about how much money they have spent at the vets, and even how ridiculous that they pay more for the care of their pet than they do for their kids.

And then, every so often, I find myself  in a consultation - in a situation which feels awfully uncomfortable and awkward. I recall those overhead snippets at the local cafe... and let me be honest here... the hair goes up on the back of my neck, like I am in a horror movie (Halloween theme music springs to mind).

Why?  Because the person opposite me, the owner of the pet, views me as a "foe", an " enemy".  They act hostile in the consultation room.  They glare at me over their pet as if I am about to steal their soul.

I can deal with those who are uncertain, and a bit scared.  I am as scared of you as you are of me (seriously).   I can understand those who ask lots of questions - I love you guys - it means you and I are on the same page - we want the best thing for your pet!

But even after all these years of vet work (up to 23 and boy, does it feel like hard labour some days), I still can't cope with the openly antagonistic, doubting client who questions my motives for ensuring that their pet has the best preventative pet care plan for them.  Or the client who constantly asks "Is that really necessary?"

One person I met months ago enlightened me as to why she thought people don't like vets - she said because we charged for our advice, because if we cared we wouldn't.  I'll remember that when I go get my car serviced (he must not care about cars), or my hair cut (she mustn't care about hair).   (this was not a client, I had never met her before, and have not met her since... it was at a pet care forum that I was at - but it was enlightening non the less).

All I can say is - Vets are friend, not foe!

We care about all of the animals that we see.  So when we offer advice on how to look after your best mate, we always have you at heart, not our bank balance.

I am Dr Liz from Russell Vale Animal Clinic, the animal mad house of Wollongong.